Dumpster and Storage Container Permits
The Dumpster and Storage Container Program is overseen by the Special Operations Section who issues permits for the use of a roll-off container/dumpster as a temporary street obstruction prior to the placement thereof.
Applications for the use of roll-off container/dumpster permits can be made by downloading the Placement of Dumpster or Storage Container Application and submitting it in person at 1 Civic Center Drive, East Brunswick, NJ 08816. If you prefer to submit your application by mail, please send your application to:
East Brunswick Police Department
Attn: Special Operations Section
P.O. Box 1081
1 Jean Walling Civic Center Drive
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
Each application must be accompanied by a nonrefundable filing fee of $25 in the form of a check payable to the Township of East Brunswick.
Garbage, Refuse and Recyclables Ordinance § 114-1.3 No person shall place or permit a roll-off container/dumpster to be placed upon any street or municipally owned parking lot within the Township without first obtaining a permit therefore in accordance with the requirements of this chapter.
The Chief of Police shall issue a permit for the use of a roll-off container/dumpster as a temporary street obstruction prior to the placement thereof, upon satisfactory written application by either the owner or the user/permit holder, as follows:
- Each application shall be accompanied by a certificate of insurance, either from the owner or the user/permit holder, evidencing public liability coverage insuring the Township in an amount not less than $500,000 for injuries, including accidental death for any one person, and subject to the same limit for each person in an amount not less than $1,000,000 on account of each occurrence; and a certificate of insurance either from the owner or the user/permit holder evidencing property damage coverage insuring the Township in an amount not less than $100,000 on account of any occurrence and in an amount not less than $1,000,000 on account of all occurrences. All policies shall be so written that the Township shall be notified of cancellation or restrictive amendment at least 15 days prior to the effective date of such cancellation or amendment.
- Prior to the issuance of such a permit, the Chief of Police, or their designee, shall determine that the proposed use of the roll-off container/dumpster shall not constitute a traffic and/or safety hazard.
- A roll-off container/dumpster shall not be located on any public street less than 30 feet wide from curb to curb.
- The roll-off container/dumpster can be effectively placed parallel to the curb with the street side of the container not more than eight feet six inches from the adjacent curb.
- The roll-off container/dumpster shall be equipped with and display markers consisting of all-yellow, reflective, diamond-shaped panels having a minimum size of 18 inches by 18 inches. These panels shall be mounted at the edge of the dumpster or container at both ends nearest the path of passing vehicles and facing the direction of oncoming traffic. These markers shall have a minimum mounting height of three feet from the bottom of the panels to the surface of the roadway in accordance with N.J.S.A. 27-5I-1.
- The roll-off container/dumpster shall not obstruct any part of the sidewalk or the sidewalk areas adjacent to the street.
- Each application for a permit hereunder shall be accompanied by a nonrefundable filing fee of $25 or such other fee as may be fixed from time to time by resolution of the Council of the Township of East Brunswick.
- Each permit shall be of 14 days' duration and shall require a written application to extend the duration of the permit for an additional 14 days. This permit shall be conspicuously posted at the job site location.