Firearms Application & Registration
Applicants can assist us in processing their applications by reading the following information to avoid making errors or omitting a required step that the applicant must take to complete the application process. Errors and omissions by applicants will require extra time to address by our personnel and add additional waiting time before your application is approved. Some errors CANNOT be corrected by our personnel and will require the applicant to file a new application.
Applicants are advised that this application is an official government document. Providing incomplete and incorrect information will cause your application to be delayed. Providing false information will result in the denial of your application and possible criminal penalties (N.J.S.A. 2C:39-10c). Applicants with questions or other concerns can email the Police Records Bureau.
Permit to Carry a Handgun
In reviewing an individual’s application for a concealed carry permit, the East Brunswick Police Department shall continue to ensure that the applicant satisfies all of the criteria of N.J.S.A. 2C:58-4d and N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4, except that the applicant need not submit a written certification of justifiable need to carry a handgun.
Applicants MUST have a firearms ID card PRIOR to applying for a Permit to Carry.
- Step 1: Click to Applying for a Permit to Carry a Handgun
- Step 2: Use the East Brunswick Police Department’s ORI # NJ0120400
- Step 3: Complete the Application.
If you have any questions, visit the NJSP Concealed Carry Permits Help website.
Firearms ID Cards & Handgun Purchase Permits
- Apply online by visiting the Firearms Application & Registration System (FARS) website at www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars.
- Insert East Brunswick Police Department’s ORI # NJ0120400
- Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer.
- You MUST appear at the East Brunswick Police Department Records Bureau to pay the fees associated with your Initial Firearms ID Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permits. Your application WILL NOT be processed until you have PAID for the Firearms ID Card Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made prior to the completion of the background as per N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.4.
Applicants requesting an Initial Firearms ID Card and Handgun Purchase Permit(s) should submit one application to avoid further delay in processing their application(s). Applications submitted by the same applicant will be processed in the order they are received.
The online application is applicant driven. You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this process. Please ensure that you have entered the BEST phone numbers and email addresses for yourself and your references.
REFERENCES: When completing the application, you will need the email addresses of two reputable references. Your references should be reputable persons who are presently acquainted with you, other than relatives. The FARS system will email your references a questionnaire to be answered. Please advise them to complete the questionnaire immediately so that your background investigation progresses without delay.
FIRST-TIME APPLICANTS: If you are a first-time firearm applicant, you will be required to make an appointment with IDEMIA for Fingerprinting. You will be directed to IDEMIA’S website HTTP://UENROLL.IDENTOGO.COM/. Be sure to follow the instructions on FARS on how to complete the fingerprinting process. Use the Service code: 2F164B
WHAT TO APPLY FOR: If you are a first-time applicant, it is recommended that you apply for an Initial Firearms ID Card. A Firearms ID Card will allow you to purchase long guns/rifles and ammunition. If you would like to purchase a Handgun, you must apply for a Permit to Purchase a Handgun; one Permit per Handgun.
COMPLETION: Once your application is approved, you will receive an email from the NJSP FARS automatic response system stating that your application has been approved. Soon after, a Police Records Bureau representative will contact you to pick up your and/or Handgun Purchase Permit(s). Please have valid identification with you since ermit(s) may not be released to another person
PAYMENT: Firearms ID Cards are $50.00 each, and Handgun Purchase Permits are $25.00 each. Check or money order should be payable to “Township of East Brunswick” for the total amount due. Place the FARS confirmation number on your check (ex. FARS Conf #89000000). The $21.00 fee paid to the State of New Jersey does not include our local fees. These are two separate transactions.
WITHDRAWL: If, after 90 days, there is no activity with your application (failed to be fingerprinted, no reference(s) returned, supporting documentation/information not provided, etc.), we will withdraw your application from the FARS system.
You may also voluntarily withdraw your application at any time by calling or emailing us. Keep in mind that any fees previously collected are non-refundable. Once withdrawn, you will need to begin an entirely new FARS application should you wish to reapply at a later date.
Additional Important Information
- East Brunswick Police personnel are UNABLE to change any information on your application with one exception: If you have entered incorrect emails or other information for your references, we can correct that information on the FARS site and resend the emails to your references. Corrections to email addresses or contact information for references can be emailed to the Police Records Bureau. Your application confirmation number must be included in the email requesting the corrections.
- If you have requested a Change of Address on your Firearms ID Card, you must bring in documentation displaying your new address as proof upon pick-up of your new Firearms ID Card. You may bring in an updated Driver’s License, government documentation, and/or current bills with your name and address. You MUST return your previous Firearms ID Card Card upon picking up your new card.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
- If you have been previously fingerprinted for FIREARMS (applying for lost/stolen/damaged card, address change, additional handgun permits), you will be prompted to apply for the name check (SB 212A) during the process. DO NOT apply for the 212A first, or you will be charged twice.
- If you are applying for the first time or are applying for a gender change, you will need to make arrangements to be fingerprinted.
- Please keep copies of any documents you provide for your application. These documents are uploaded to the FARS system, and the local department will no longer maintain the physical copies. All uploads are automatically purged from the system after seven (7) years (i.e., name change records, expungement orders, background information, etc.).