The East Brunswick Police Department selection process is very competitive, consisting of an initial application, in-person interviews, and a comprehensive background investigation.
Any applicant who intentionally provides false information, any deception or fraud in the application, interview, application, or any other part of the selection process for appointment with the East Brunswick Police Department will be disqualified from the selection process at any time.
If an offer of appointment is tendered to an applicant, it will be conditional upon the successful completion of a medical examination and a psychological evaluation.
- Applicants must be certified in Basic Course for Police Officers (BCPO) from the New Jersey Police Training Commission (PTC), or currently enrolled in a PTC certified New Jersey. Police Academy Alternate Route program or certified with a waiver eligible Special Law Enforcement Officer Class II (SLEO II) certification from the New Jersey PTC. SLEO II certified applicants must be waiver eligible or will not be accepted.
- Must be a citizen of the United States, a resident of the State of New Jersey and possess a valid New Jersey Driver's License at the time of appointment.
- Must be not less than 18 years of age, or more than 35 years of age, at the time of appointment. In accordance with New Jersey Statutes, age exemptions for military service and prior L.E. service may be granted to meet the maximum age standards.
- Must have the ability to read, write and speak the English language clearly and intelligently
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Must have visual acuity 20/100 in each eye without artificial correction, 20/30 corrected. Must have normal color perception, depth perception, and peripheral vision. Must have auditory acuity at or below 25db in each ear.
- Must have a minimum of an Associate's Degree or two years of full-time college credits (60 credits) from an accredited college or university or 30 college credits from an accredited college and have completed at least two years of full-time active duty military service with Honorable Discharge (Military service must have been completed within last three years to be eligible for this option). Credits or degrees must be recognized by the American Council on Education as listed in the Accredited Institutions of Post-Secondary Education.
- Must be physically capable of meeting the required firearms qualifications mandated by the Attorney General guidelines. Must be psychologically fit to perform all the duties of a police officer. Must meet the requirements set forth in the job description for a police officer and pass a comprehensive background investigation.
- Applicants will be required to show proficiency in writing and basic computer skills.
- Successful candidates will be given conditional offers of employment and then must pass a urinalysis as well as comprehensive medical and psychological examinations.
Applicants whose employment by the Township would trigger a municipal payment obligation under NJSA 40A:14-178 and NJSA 18A:6-4.12 will not be considered.
How to Apply
The East Brunswick Police Department utilizes PoliceApp to post available job listings. View below for current open positions.
The East Brunswick Police Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer.