The Court Session starts at the time stated. The Judge gives an opening statement to explain court procedures and rights of defendants. Thereafter, the session is usually conducted according to New Jersey Rules of Court specifically, R 7:14-3:
- Court Calendar. At each court session, to the extent possible the court shall give priority to attorney matters that are summary in nature. Other cases should be called in the following order, subject to the court's discretion:
- Requests for adjournments
- Guilty pleas and first appearances
- Pretrial conferences
- Uncontested motions
- Contested matters with attorneys
- Noncompliance with time payment issues
- Contested matters without attorneys
- Matters to be placed on the record
- Scheduling of Cases. Courts shall stagger the scheduling of cases, where necessary, in order to limit inconvenience to all parties.
When court is in session, you are expected to maintain a level of good decorum:
- No cell phone use
- No drinks
- No food
- No gum chewing
- No newspapers
- No talking
- Remain seated
Appropriate clothing and shoes are required.
Traffic Offense "Not Guilty" Plea
Please note: If you wish to plead "not guilty" for a traffic offense, you must call the court office seven days in advance to confirm your court appearance. Be sure to have your ticket number available to give to the clerk.
If you do not notify the court in advance, your case may not be heard on the court date listed on the ticket. It may be necessary for you to return on another date.