- Construction Inspection
- Codes & Subcodes
- Electrical Permits
- Pool Information: National Electrical Code 1996
Pool Information: National Electrical Code 1996
Wet-Niche Lighting Fixtures (light in Pool) shall be connected to an equipment grounding conductor sized in accordance with Table 250-122 but not smaller than Number 12. It shall be an insulated copper conductor and shall be installed with the circuit conductors in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit or rigid nonmetallic conduit. See National Electric Code 680.25.
Where rigid nonmetallic conduit is used (for light) a Number 8 insulated, solid copper conductor shall be installed in the conduit with provisions for terminating in the forming shell, junction box or transformer enclosure or ground fault circuit interrupter. Art. 680-20 4 (b) 1.
The junction box, transformer enclosure, or other enclosure in the supply circuit to a wet-niche lighting fixture and the field-wiring chamber of a dry-niche lighting fixture shall be grounded to the equipment grounding terminal at the panel board. This terminal shall be directly connected to the panel board enclosure. The equipment grounding conductor shall be installed without joint or splice.
Electrical Equipment Other than Underwater Lighting
Electrical equipment other than the underwater lighting fixture and motors associated with the pool shall be grounded in accordance with Article 250 and connected by wiring methods of Chapter 3 National Electrical Code. Article 680-26.
Pool-associated motors (for above ground and in-ground pools) shall be connected to an equipment grounding conductor sized in accordance with Table 250-122 but not smaller than Number 12. It shall be an insulated copper conductor and shall be installed with the circuit conductors in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit or rigid nonmetal conduit.
That provide power for water pump motor for a permanently installed pool shall be permitted between 5' to 10' from the inside walls of the pool and where so located shall be single and of the locking and ground type (3 wire twist lock) and shall be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter. NEC 680-22.
- All metal parts of the pool structure, including the reinforcing metal of the pool shell, coping stones and deck.
- All forming shells.
- All metal fittings within or attached to the pool structure.
- Metal parts of electric equipment associated with the pool water circulating system.
- Metal conduit, metal piping, and all fixed parts that are within 5 feet of the inside walls of the pool and that are not separated from the pool by a permanent barrier. Art. 680-22.
- These parts shall be connected to a common bonding grid with a solid copper conductor, insulated, covered or bare, not smaller than No. 8. Connection shall be made by pressure connectors or clamps of brass, copper or copper alloy.
- Where a permanently installed pool in installed at a dwelling unit at least one 120-volt receptacle shall be installed a minimum of 10 feet from and no more than 20 feet from the inside wall of the pool. Art. 680-22.
It shall be on a ground fault interrupter. Article (680.22). This receptacle is in addition to an receptacle for the pump.
- Wet-niche underwater lighting fixtures
- Dry-niche underwater lighting fixtures
- All electric equipment within 5 feet of the inside walls of the pool
- All electric equipment associated with re-circulating system of the pool
- Junction boxes
- Transformer enclosures
- Grounded fault circuit interrupters
Panel board that are not part of the service equipment and that supply any electric associated with the pool. Art. 680-25.
Underground wiring shall not be permitted under the pool or under the area extending 5 feet horizontally from the inside wall of the pool.
Example Number 2
When space limitations prevent wiring from being routed 5 feet or more from the pool, such wiring shall be permitted when installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit or nonmetallic raceway system. All metal conduit shall be corrosion-resistant and suitable for the location. Art. 680-10.
Lighting fixtures and lighting outlets installed in the area extending between 5 feet and 10 feet horizontally from the inside walls of the pool shall be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter. Art. 680-22.
Storable Swimming Pool or Wading Pool: A pool with a maximum dimension of 18 feet and maximum wall height of 42 inches and so constructed that it may be readily dissembled for storage or reassembled to its original integrity.
- Rigid metallic conduit 6.
- Rigid non-metallic conduit - 18 inches NEC 680.10.